Ian McNay, bereft at the news that the SRHE Cryptic Crossword was no more, decided to invent an alternative challenge for the festive season. Here, with suitably global reach, is the result – the SRHE News Quiz 2020. Each answer is the name of a university. We could have called it University Challenge, but that might have been misleading – University Challenge is a TV programme. However we do recognise that the name may still be misleading. This is a quiz in SRHE News (and Blog), but it is not a news quiz. The News Quiz is a radio programme. This isn’t a radio programme (or a TV programme), and it’s not about news. But it is a quiz. We hope that’s cleared things up.
The answers will appear in the January issue of SRHE News, so you have just a couple of weeks to find all 20. If you email email@example.com with the answers before 7 January we’ll mention your name in the January issue.
- Was it locked down or up for Covid?
- The Queen’s prison?
- NOT an historically black university
- The original European saucy source
- Generally sunk by Thatcher
- A Great Easterner in West London
- Where Polly sat among the Ashes
- Martin? Or Midlands triangle?
- Gillian’s Celtic clan in the new world
- Could be a mere rake
- Helen’s lover with many numbers
- 1952 Olympics
- Another aristocrat, but not ‘of Edinburgh’
- Shakespeare’s kingmaker
- Don Quixote’s home region
- Now Ghana but it seems to have moved
- In England and Canada, battling in vain
- Italian wisdom
- Do its graduands wear cowboy hats?
- An objective Latin female?
For answers, view page 2: