by Rob Cuthbert
The SRHE cryptic crossword returns despite lack of popular demand. This is No 2. As usual, familiarity with SRHE staff, members, journals, SRHE News and Blog will be a big advantage, perhaps even essential. There are some proper names; other words are in any good dictionary (Chambers, of course, is recommended).
Professor Rob Cuthbert is editor of SRHE News and Blog and chairs the SRHE Publications Committee.
Email your solution to Rob.Cuthbert@uwe.ac.uk. There were no correct solutions for Crossword No 1, so the meagre prize rolls over and becomes almost respectable for the first correct solution submitted by an SRHE member and drawn after 1 August 2020. The solution will appear in the next issue of SRHE News, October 2020. If you can’t wait that long, email Rob.Cuthbert@uwe.ac.uk after 1 August for solution and explanations.
To download this crossword as a word document, click here.
1. Kind of VLE where learning at first is missing, leaving something behind (9)
6. Finance officer is back in the rat race (5)
9. A traveller, one detected in the air, always 3 (5)
10. One on both sides takes in former wife, a princess (9)
11. Heir to the throne making a fist of university (4,2,9)
13. Go back in – die – not entirely nice, to be cynical (8)
14. One academic, first class, was called God (6)
16. Fabricate inferior hide (3,3)
18. Make out with good girl, that’s one thing that’s looking up (8)
21. Regular feature of SRHE Conference – Perkins gives it a shaking (8,7)
23. Learner with Cert Ed (FE) lost in thought (9)
25. Members of SRHE lend their authority on everything that goes on in society (5)
26. Did well to live after 11’s mother left (5)
27. At the end of the year I’m to be in Paris. It’s not far (9)
1. Perhaps be a way to get an academic on TV (5)
2. High time to be seen here, in universities like Birmingham and Queen Mary (5,6)
3. Possibility of Bayes on win margin requiring expert judgment (2,1,4)
4. An American cop here in ancient Rome? That means no law at all (8)
5. Manuscript read back to front at first, with hopes rather than expectations (6)
6. Professor and editor took charge of Publications Committee, for example (7)
7. Seeing this, anything could happen – it’s partly unpredictable (3)
8. People not lacking discipline but with freedom to disagree (9)
12. Demand a little academic work – there’s plenty to follow (4,3,1,3)
13. Removed organ? Room was needed for 21 to have done this (9)
15. Initially every programme in soap operas demands interesting characters, appearing at intervals (8)
17. Nothing for dinner? Just gruel (7)
19. Our Rob’s a law unto himself (7)
20. Brought together teams in Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle (6)
22. Anger management in the kitchen (5)
24. You can get a loan for this, or run away with no start in life (3)
Solutions to Cryptic Crossword No 1:
1 Campfire 5 Profit 10 Tonal 11 Sandstorm 12 Boy wonder 13 Annul 14 Rumpole 16 Escape 18 Instil 20 Dominie 22 Rifle 23 Not on show 25 Abstracts 26 Goner 27 Slowey 28 Starlets
1 Cuthbert 2 McNay 3 Fellow of the SRHE 4 Residue 6 Research manager 7 Frown upon 8 Temple 9 Untrue 15 Manifesto 17 Networks 19 Lunacy 20 Data set 21 Greats 24 Hinge
For an explanation of the solutions email email@example.com.